Waiting on a Miracle

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Praise the Lord!!!!!

I can't believe I made it through TRANSFER!!!!!! Of the 7 embryos I had on Saturday, 6 of them made it to Day 3. Out of the 6, five made it to PGD testing & I can't believe they were all NORMAL!!!!!!!! (Thank you God!!) My biggest fear was that my husband and I were never going to be able to have healthy children. Getting these test results back has given me a new lease on TTC. Even if this cycle doesn't work, I have hope for the future!!

One of the five embryos (a male) stopped growing between Tuesday & Wednesday, so there were 4 available to transfer. My doctor called asking me how many I wanted to transfer, 3 or 4! I was shocked because I had thought they said they would only transfer 2 blastocysts unless we were willing to do selective reduction. After all I've been through, there is no way I would ever put myself in the position to do this...so my doctor suggesting returning 3 embryos. Out of the 4, there were 2 male hatching blastocysts and 1 female & 1 male morula (stage below blast). The doctor assured us that the chances of triplets is around 2%...but I had to laugh because I always seem to be in those small percentages! (Like m/c after seeing a h/b.) Anyway, my husband and I decided that we would take our chances & the outcome (singleton, twins, or triplets), we would be happy! We transferred the 2 male blastocysts & the 1 female morula. The male morula is hopefully going to continue to grow to the blast stage & then be cryopreserved.

The actual transfer procedure was pretty quick. My husband and I felt like we were in a sci-fi movie! It was a very surreal experience. They had me rest for 20 minutes & then we were able to go home. I reclined the seat in the car & threw myself in bed as soon as I got home. I got up only to pee! (I'm sorry I didn't update you all last night....I was nowhere near the computer!) I am so glad that I have the next 4 days off because schools are closed in NJ for the Teachers' Convention. Tomorrow morning I have to go in for bloodwork....they want to check progesterone levels. My beta is next Friday 11/12! I can't thank you all enough for helping me get through this crazy process...I have a long way to go until next Friday, but I am just so thankful that I got this far!

My mom keeps singing this refrain "The Lord is Kind and Merciful" everytime I speak to her & it actually makes me feel at ease. (She was singing it from her job yesterday & I told her she better watch that she doesn't get fired!) EVERYTHING is out of my hands....so I need to just sit back, relax, eat right, & do my 2 shots (progesterone & Lovenox) a day!

5 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Carol P said…

    WOW! I'm so incredibly happy for you. What an experience to go through!!! And, I think it's a great choice to transfer three - three is a lucky number too! Rest... drink fluids... no heavy lifting or BD (sorry DH) - and let's make these suckers (or at least one or two) really stick!!!!! WAY TO GO!!! (((HUGS)))

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Patty said…

    Way to go Cara!!!!! I am so happy to hear you have three healthy embies looking for a home. I cannot even imagine how you must be feeling right now. I am glad to hear all embies were normal. That is such a relief. It must be very strange waiting to see how many of these embies burrow in. Are you pinching yourself? Good luck girl and you have been an inspiration to the sistas going through this very personal and highly stressful experience.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Cara:
    Hooray! Sounds like a very successful transfer! I didn't realize that with PGD they tell you whether they are male or female.
    Hoping you and your husband will be blessed with at least one little bean.
    Take it easy. :)

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Summer Girl said…

    YIPPEE!!! That is such great news Cara! I bet it was like a sci fi movie. All of this technology is so great. I often think about my mom's Aunt Emma. She lived to be almost 100 years old and she was never able to have children of her own although she so wanted to be a mother. I think that if she had lived in today's time she probably could have gotten pregnant and maybe kept one or two. I'm so glad to be living in a country where we can get high tech fertility treatments. Gosh! So exciting!! I'm so happy for you!!

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Blogger barb said…

    WooHoo!! yippity skippity!! I am so excited for you!! This has been such a long process for you. I'm sending up prayers that these little embies burrow in deep!! I know it's no where close to your situation, but I work with mice and I superovulate them, harvest the embies and implant at the morula and blast stage and have a high success rate. Your embies must have looked beautiful and perfect for them to implant them. Congratulations!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home