Waiting on a Miracle

Monday, March 27, 2006

I need advice!

I took a year off from teaching to stay home with the babies. The year is quickly coming to an end & I need to let my boss know what I am doing next year.

I would really love another year off. My district allows you to take 2 years off, but they don't guarantee that you will have the same position. My boss promised me my job teaching 3rd grade math if I return for next school year. He can't say where I'd be if I take the second year. I could be in my same position (very small chance), a different grade or subject in my same school, or in a totally different school teaching "all" the subjects.

I really "love" my current position, and I dread having to learn to teach another grade/subject. I don't feel like putting the time in to do it. I feel like I will be crazy just trying to go back to work with kids, let alone trying to learn all new material.

The cost of daycare is also a consideration. If I go back to work this September my kids are still considered infants (14 months old), so I would be paying over $500 per week. If I wait the year (they will be 26 months old), I'll be able to save almost $100 a week in child care costs.
What would you do???????

3 Comments:

  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger Carol P said…

    In my opinion, if you can afford to, I'd wait another year. You might be frustrated that you lost your current teaching position, but you'll never regret why. Your children are only babies once. Of course, this is spoken from a guilt-ridden momma who can only take 12 weeks off, so I'm a tad jealous at your options ;)

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Cara, these are such hard decisions and I hate that any of us have to make them (though grateful that some of us do have choices/flexibility...sorry Zeeks!)

    I think Zeeks is ultimately right, but I also know what it's like to be unhappy with your job and that totally sucks...but, there is always a possibility you will still go back to a job you enjoy, right? And you'll certainly enjoy the job you'll have as a SAHM for one more year, plus you'll feel better about waiting until the babes are 2 to go to preschool/daycare, not just in terms of cost, but for them personally, right? I know that's my preference.

    Yeah, I'd have to say, I think I'd take the risk and spend another year at home...but it's a tough decision! Let us know what happens...

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Summer Girl said…

    you're so lucky to be in this position... I know you've already decided but I'm all for you going for the 2nd year! My job allows for 1 but I couldn't do it financially. It is fine... good child care set up... but I'm jealous. Although, as he is older it is harder to leave him!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home